The Irish Thread


Hi all, hope this finds you all well and happy, although I know this week seems to have been a bit tough for many people close to me...events, emotions, behaviours....please be gentle with yourself if you're struggling. I've been working frantically to finish off a crochet sculpture, so have had little contemplation time, but I have been thinking about Ireland, and firming up dates and places, and beginning to contact the yarn shops there. Researching ferry companies (which like to change and delete routes year by year to keep sea travellers on their toes I guess), I've had to modify the itinerary a little; my route is much more the West of Ireland now than my original plan along the south coast, and I have a start date- flying from London to Shannon airport on the 10th September, the second day of the new moon, and spending a couple of days acclimatising around Galway before beginning properly on....and at....
  • Wed 12th: Leenane/ Leenaun: The Connemara Sheep and Wool Centre
  • Thur13th: Galway/ Gaillimh: O'Maille
  • Fri    14th: Ennis/ Inis: Feirin
  • Sat 15th: Limerick/ Luimneach: Lena's
  • Mon 17th: Tralee/ Tra Li: Knitting Centre
  • Tues 18th: Killarney/ Cill-Airne: Kerry Woollen Mills
  • Weds 19th: Bantry/ Beanntrai: Bantry Yarns
  • Thurs 20th: Clonakilty/ Cloich na Coillte: Knitwell Wool
  • Fri 21st: Dungarvan/ Dun Garbhan: Monica's
  • Sat 22nd: Cork/ Corcaigh: Vibes & Scribes

On Saturday afternoon, I will take the weekly overnight ferry from Cork to Roscoff in Brittany. Cork is the only place I have ever been to in the Irish republic; just a few days eating and drinking, so really, it will be all new. Roscoff I know rather well (more on that next week). So I've started to contact the shops and centres by email, with a brief introduction to the project. It's important I make contact, as I want the yarn shops to be a part of the project, it's where I can make a connection with the local community, and make connections between the different communities. And next week, will be translating it into French...and hopefully have some replies from Ireland!

'I hope this finds you well. I am writing as I would like to visit your shop/centre as part of a  yarn pilgrimage I am doing along the Atlantic Coast from the West of Ireland to Agadir in Morocco. I want to expose the longstanding cultural connections along this coastline, where people have exchanged skills, goods and love for thousands of years, notwithstanding the political divisions imposed upon us by the powers that be and have been. Each morning, I will be buying yarn, and each afternoon crocheting a scarf on the bus/ferry to my next destination- the scarves will be sent out to contributors to the project. I will also crochet a small piece each day to stitch together into a blanket, keep a diary and take two photos; of the sea, and the place I buy yarn. Together these will tell the story of my pilgrimage and the story of the Atlantic Thread. It will be a simple journey, travelling light, mostly camping, using public transport, and trying to shop as locally as possible, in terms of the yarn and food and drink I need. I plan to visit you on the XXth September- could you confirm that you would be open that day, and whether you would mind me taking a picture of the shop (and the staff if they would like) and write about you in the diary



You can read more about it on my blog:

atlanticthread.blogspot.co.uk

And you can see examples of my work on Instagram:

billyblacklondon'

So keep your fingers and toes crossed for me...I don't think many of us like approaching strangers, in whatever medium, but as a wise friend of mine Ursula always says: 'Not everyone is a serial killer!'

Anyway, signing off now, thank you for reading, and as always, wishing you all love and light
Billy xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fibres, Colours and Languages

The Beginning

Connacht, Munster, Privilege and Gratitude