The Breton Thread/ Le Fil Breton

Good morning all, I hope this finds you well. I'm feeling excited and a little bit daunted- in exactly six months today, on the 10th September I will be setting off for Ireland to begin my journey. A lot of planning and thought has gone into it already, and it's all taking shape, but I need to keep my feet on the ground (not always easy for a dreamer), and get on with the parts about being a maker that few of us enjoy; promotion and raising funds. It is a very DIY project- I was born in the 70s after all so I think I must have breathed in that a lot of that punk ethic in my youth- but doing all that selling of myself and my ideas doesn't come naturally...but I'm slowly getting there!

I took the first pledge for a scarf this week- thank you to my dear friend Monica, who has been incredibly supportive through all the planning process (and, in fact, in all the time I've known her), and it's fitting as I was with her on a beach in Sines when I first had this idea. She's going for a long, slim and slinky scarf in linen or soft wool. I am taking pre-orders this month before I set up a proper funding page in April. This will include three options: £55 for a handmade scarf sent with a personal letter sent from the journey, £10 for a raffle ticket for a woollen blanket I am making, or the option for a small donation towards the project- if it's three quid or more I'll send you a postcard. I will have a little launch event (probably on Saturday 1st September) where I will draw the raffle. If you would like to make a scarf order soon, contact me on billyblacklondon@gmail.com with your specifications in terms of yarn, colour(s) and origin, and some information about the recipient for the letter.

Have been doing a lot of research into yarn shops in Brittany. Not having been a knitter when I lived there, I had no idea there were so many- it seems a much higher concentration than in Ireland or the UK, so I've gone for places closest to the coast. I had to do a slight change in plans- the ferry from Roscoff to Bilbao only accepts vehicle passengers (not sure why- do they have to stay in their cars all the way?) so I have to do a little triangular trip from Roscoff-Plymouth, and then Plymouth-Santander. I thought this might mean I could include one Devon or Cornish shop, but connections mean I will only be in Plymouth on a Sunday morning, when the independent yarn shops are closed. I have nothing against the big stores like Hobbycraft, but they are not really in keeping with the spirit of my journey. So anyway, here is my Breton itinerary, with Breton place names in brackets. I've included two shops in one day, because I am going to have a lot of crochet time on those ferries!

September:
Sunday 23rd-Arrive in Roscoff, a couple of days rest.
Tues 25th: Plouzane: Le Panier de Laine
Weds 26th: Douarnenez: Les Ateliers du Croas Men
Thur 27th: Concarneau (Konk-Kernev): Tricofil
Fri 28th: Landivisiau (Landivizio): Breizh Gloan
               Cleder (Kleder): Aiguilles et Compagnie
Sat 29th: Morlaix (Montroulez): La Mercerie de Lauly

Saturday 29th I will take the afternoon ferry to Plymouth, and on the Sunday, the afternoon ferry to Santander, arriving on Sunday lunchtime.

I've translated my opening letter into French and have contacted the yarn stores above with the following message:

Bonjour
J'espère que vous allez bien et je vous prie de m'excuser les fautes en francais. Je vous écris parce que je voudrais rendre visite à votre magasin au cours d'un 'pélérinage de laine'' que je vais faire au bord de l'Atlantique, de Galway en Irelande jusqu'Agadir au Maroc. Je voudrais exposer les liens culturelles de longue durée qui existe entre ces côtes, où on fait des echanges de competences, de biens et d'amour depuis des siécles, malgré les divisions politiques qu'on nous impose.
Chaque matin, je vais acheter de la laine, et chaque après-midi je vais m'y mettre a tricoter sur le bus/ferry jusqu'au prochain arrêt. Je vais faire une écharpe chaque jour, et aussi une petite pièce pour une grande couverture. Celle-ci va réunir les endroits que je visite, et va raconter l'histoire du Fil Atlantique, avec le journal que je garde, et les deux photos que je vais prendre chaque jour: la vue de l'Ocean, et le magasin ou j'achète de la laine. Je fais un voyage simple, je vais faire du camping, et je voudrais qu'autant possible que j'achète en laine et nourriture soit d'origine locale.
En ce moment, je fais le plan de l'itineraire, et je voudrais vous rendre visite XXXXXXX- est-ce que vous serez ouvert ce jour là? Et est-ce que ca vous dérangerait si je prends un photo du magasin (et le personnel s'ils veulent bien).

Vous pouvez lire plus de detail sur le projet au blog; atlanticthread.blogspot.uk (en anglais)
Et voire des images de mon travail sur instagram: billyblacklondon

Anyway, let's hope they get my drift and get back to me! Love and light to you always...and it definitely feels like the light is returning! Billy xxxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fibres, Colours and Languages

The Beginning

Connacht, Munster, Privilege and Gratitude