Limavady, Portstewart, Hexagon Heaven and Ballymoney
I'm writing this in London Fields, or as the Republicans call it, Fields. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Members of my family are often accused of diffusing tensions/avoiding issues by using humour. We're usually guilty!
I'm not feeling tense, but a little contrite at having left this entry so long. Life's been very chaotic in a hither thither of commitments and movements, but I'm just hoping I haven't missed anyone or anything out, because it's 5 weeks since I returned. There may (ok, will) be edits.
I'm staying here looking after the most adorable enormous puppy called Lulu. She loves going to Fields and playing with her friends- it's a joy to watch. Today she is coming with me to meet lots of my family- we are gathering as it was my brother's anniversary on Thursday. A year. You know how it is. Dominic didn't travel all that much, but he loved Northern Ireland. This did spur me on to continue Atlantic Thread. That was the obvious next stage. Going south from Essaouria would be complex...the disputed land of Western Sahara, the lack of safety in Mauritania. I would have to start in Senegal. And one day, I hope I will. But back to the beauty of county Derry and county Antrim.
Coleraine is my hub for buses...and trains- yippee! Limavady is affectionately known as Limavegas, for reasons still unclear to me. It was explained as that they couldn't be more different, but also because the Limavegans have the joie de vivre of the Las Vegans. This is not working is it? I can only read 'vegans', and I definitely saw meat and cheese available. I've heard a lot about Row by Roe, and it wasn't overhyped. Lisa is lovely, the shop is beautifully laid out and a huge variety of yarns and tools. I took ages to decide, but got some lovely slightly greyish sky blue supersoft alpaca. It's going to be lovely to knit with.
I got to a lovely countryside b and b just outside Portstewart, and then walked into to see the sea! This is a gorgeous beach and the weather is splendid. Lucky me. I stopped for a Guinness, and in talking to the bar staff realised I am within reach of Giant's Causeway. My schedule was so tight, and I hadn't thought about detours, but this is irresistable. Hexagons are so my spirit polygon, and a cornerstone of my crochet. It's what set me off on a whole geometric explorations, the results of which you'll see later in the year. All made, just under wraps right now. Jommetry and Kullor.
The Causeway is just gorgeous. Of course there are lots of tourists, like myself, but it didn't feel oppressive. You have to walk down from the clifftop, and it's very meditative. I sat and crocheted, and smiled at the sea. A bus and a sunset walk back, I was a very happy bunny.
Mullan's Fashions in Porstewart is a delight. Lovely knitwear in every colour (including purple!), but the stars are the joyful Gerardette's crochet kits, in colour schemes based on seasons and landscapes. We talked about the horror of finding yourself on a seaside family holiday having forgotten your crochet? Can you imagine? CAN you imagine?? CAN YOU IMAGINE???? I can't actually. If I've forgotten my crochet, I've definitely also forgotten passport and luggage. But Gerardette has been the saviour of many a hooker who found themselves in this predicament. I got some gorgeous soft cotton in seaside colours. And then I went into the sea!
Ballymoney. An old fashioned anti-capitalist battle cry? It translates to American hippie as 'fucking bread'. I would live in a town called Fucking Bread, and I would also live in Ballymoney. It felt really lovely, and warm in every way. And if you had forgotten any necessary fibre or tool, then you would be sorted at A Stitch in Time. It's a special shop with a lovely elephant logo. Skilful alterations and very friendly service. Margaret and Ann were super kind, and I met Ann's daughter Emma, who has a shop a few doors down, Causeway Crafts. Give them a follow, pay them a visit- locally made items, which were all beautiful, useful and/or funny. William Morris would approve. It was so great to meet Emma- we had a lot in common, most immediately noticeable that we do not do small talk. I definitely want to come back, it wasn't a wool shop, but it was the perfect final destination!
I want to go back to the north of Ireland a lot. And I am continuing in October, am just planning. But time is short and it will be onward not returning. Belfast and the Isle of Man...will blog in the meantime as I plan...
Gros Bisouxxxxxxxxx
Comments
Post a Comment